Isn’t it great when we can offer our kids a home-made snack?! No preservatives, made with love. But we are all busy, right? At Family Health Hub we’re all about keeping it real with recipes. Quick, easy and healthy home-made food for busy families. Here is a great yet simple recipe for yummy apple banana muffins…
- 1¾ cups (235g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (65g) plain flour
- ½ cup (110g) brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup mashed stewed apple (made from 2 apples)
- 1 cup mashed banana (from 2 bananas)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- ½ cup milk
The flour can be wheat-based or gluten-free.
I recommend Orgran gluten-free flour which is also free of soy.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C
- peel the apples and cut up into 2cm pieces. Microwave for approx. 4 min until soft enough to mash. Mash with a potato masher or a fork.
- place dry ingredients in a bowl
- melt the butter, approx. 1 minute in microwave
- dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a dash of warm water
- add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well
- portion into a muffin tray (tip: I use patty pans sprayed with canola oil, placed into a muffin tin)
- makes 10-12 muffins depending on size desired
- Bake for 20 min at 180 °C
Try replacing the apple with another fruit for next time, such as a handful or two of blueberries